Monday, June 7, 2010

Online Safety for Elders


Photo by David Lat

In April, I spent a few days visiting with my mother.  My mother has been using a computer and the Internet for at least ten years so I'd always assumed that she was reasonably safe online.   She got my attention though when she mentioned that someone had sent her an email to tell her that her computer had a "bug" and that she could fix it by just clicking a link in the email.  She did click the link as instructed, and nothing happened.  I immediately turned on her Mac and checked it.  It seemed to operate normally -- I think the fact that it is a Mac protected it from an infection.

I spent some time talking to my mother about how hackers might send malicious emails like the "bug" email hoping to either infect her computer with a virus or take control of her computer as part of a bot net.  I also talked about how phishing works with emails that appear to be from legitimate companies that direct the unsuspecting to phony websites.  It was hard to have the conversation and describe the various dangers on the Internet without scaring her so much that she'd refuse to return to the Web, but I hope I succeeded.  I suspect that this conversation is one that happens too rarely with seniors who remain active on the Internet without much knowledge of online threats to security and privacy.

I recently received a bogus email that looked like it was from Chase and referenced the actual last four digits of my Chase credit card number while directing me to a "Chase" website.  Because the listed Chase web address was different from the address I usually use to access my account, I was suspicious and called Chase.  The Chase telephone representative listened to my story and confirmed my suspicion that the email was bogus.  I thought again of my mother, and I was certain that if she'd gotten this very convincing email, she might have clicked on the link to the bogus website and entered her account information.

If you have elderly friends or relatives who are active online, they would probably appreciate being warned of the security and privacy dangers associated with the Web.  This is a list of the items I discussed with my mother -- hopefully the list can be a starting point for your discussions.
  1. If you don't recognize the sender of an email, don't open it.
  2. If someone you know sends you an email asking for money, don't respond.  I've received several emails purportedly from people I know from Linkedin and Facbook, and these emails describe a crisis like being in London without any money and request that I send emergency funds.  I don't know these folks well enough receive a request for help like that.  But I told my mother the story and hopefully impressed on her to avoid sending money in response to any online requests for help.
  3. If a pop up message appears warning of a virus and asks Mom to click a link to remove the virus, don't do it.
  4. Don't order items online with a credit card.  Other seniors might do this with appropriate caution, but my mother has shopped online and now may not be the time to start.
  5. Don't send information like credit card numbers, social security numbers, and account user names and passwords in an email to anyone ever.
You may suggest that your favorite senior consider purchasing a MacBook.  Macs remain less vulnerable to viruses and they don't require the purchase of anti-virus protection.  If the senior has a problem with the computer, he or she can take it to the Genius Bar of the local Apple store to have the problem corrected.  Apple also offers in-store, one-on-one instruction to Mac purchasers for $99 per year -- what a bargain!
    These are a starting list of warnings and cautions about seniors online, but the list isn't complete.  If you have warnings to add to the list, please contact me or leave a comment.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment